Monday, August 18, 2014

Light Rye Bread

Hot off the oven
Festivals in India are traditionally yet another excuse to make and gorge on sweets. But this Krishna Janmashtami, I felt I should try something different. I resolved to try and make something new for each Indian festival at the minimum, but also for a number of other big festivals internationally. This is more of an aspiration: for sure a lot of perspiration! Let’s see how it goes.

I started off my new resolution by trying to bake light rye bread from first principles, ie the old fashioned way of beating up the flour by hand and putting into an extremely hot oven. I must say the experience was rather therapeutic and relaxing, and we got a chewy but healthy (and dare I say tasty) bread to show for the effort! No additives, no unhealthy ingredients. I substituted agave nectar for the honey in the recipe but it didn’t seem to matter. What will be interesting is to see how long the bread stays moist. I have observed that home made bread dries out very quickly particularly if refrigerated. So an excuse to gorge on it until you finish it the same day!

Auspicious beginnings: let’s hope this continues.




Light Rye Bread
August 18, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment