Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Slow Food Movement

Slow food, big enjoyment
I could never understand the Slow Food Movement. For a foodie like me, food was meant to be eaten, and fast. Because I loved it so. Growing up, we were told not to loiter over our food. Eat up! Our parents said. But being me, and appreciating all points of view, I decided to give the Slow Food Eaters a hearing. Or rather, an eating.

So here it is: my own version. Whatever be the food you select, put it together with care. Don’t heap your plate. Put as much as will satisfy you, no more, no less. Let your plate look inviting: as many colours of the rainbow as you can add. Sit in a conducive environment, and feel the taste of every mouthful. For the first time, I chewed rather than swallowed. The feeling of fullness, and contentment is indescribable! And what was I eating to generate such an excess of emotion? Plain old poha (beaten rice flakes) with vegetables! Plain yoghurt! Plain slice of bread! Creamy tofu with Asian spices! And fresh orange juice – the nectar of the Gods.


I was replete. And how much time did I take to eat "slow": all of 10 minutes. So no excuses, enjoy whatever it is that you have on your plate, anytime, anywhere. Bon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment