Monday, August 25, 2014

One "Pot" Meal: Grilled Pita Sandwiches

I have this really versatile toast sandwich maker from Kenwood. It can make sandwiches, waffles and is a griddle pan as well! just by taking out the iron inserts! I realised recently that I had never used the griddle feature of the toaster. The next opportunity to remedy that fault came on a Sunday, when I was rather more keen to pursue my other hobbies, and spend minimal time in the kitchen. Yet, being a holiday, we wanted to feel like we were having a special meal. You guessed right: all roads pointed to the humble pita sandwich! I grilled some eggplant and peppers and made hummus spread. After that it was a breeze - line the pocket with hummus, put in some cheese, veggies, herbs, salt and pepper. Put it in the griddle iron, and hey presto: wholesome and tasty pita pockets! Hummus for protein, veggies for nutrition, pita as carb, herbs: an all round one pot meal.

I am quite inspired to try other combinations in the pitas. Perhaps paneer bhurji next?

No comments:

Post a Comment