Sunday, September 14, 2014

Creme Brulee with an Asian twist

Whenever I select an Asian theme for the menu for my dinner parties, I struggle to find dessert ideas that stay with the theme and yet, can be popular with my guests who are more used to the Western taste in desserts. When I found this recipe for creme brulee with coconut milk, sago (tapioca pearls), pomelo and mango, you can imagine how excited I was. Its quite a refreshing summer dessert. Uses a little cream but largely coconut milk in which the sago cooks: as a result, its not as heavy as you may expect a cream based dessert to be. Moreover, this can be prepared overnight, with just the torching of the sugar layer on top done just before serving to provide a professional finish. The recipe called for garnish with lemon/lime rind, but I found it made the dessert a bit bitter. I think it looks great even without it. A fitting end to an Asian meal. My next challenge is to find a recipe that is wholly lactose free. Perhaps banana icecream made from coconut milk is the answer to that challenge! Let's see.

No comments:

Post a Comment